Every time we produce an annual conference event, we look to new opportunities to add value. Can we use a more creative theme? Insert new audience engagement strategies? Revolutionize the flow of the program to add freshness and intrigue? This year’s annual user conference hosted by Spigit was a great example of event transformation in practice.
Spigit Ignite 2018, themed “Idea to Impact”, was held this year on May 1 – 2 at The Bently Reserve and event attendance blew past last year’s numbers. Bringing together worldwide leaders in innovation from public and private sectors, this inspiring theme celebrated the latest solutions and best practices in innovation in corporate enterprises. Inspiring speakers throughout the program included keynote Marcus Shingles, CEO of XPrize with a host of a supporting “cast” of other leaders in the market:
- Linda Lavelle, Director, Knowledge Management, Johnson & Johnson
- Wayne Bush, Global Director – HR Business Partners & HR Operations, Nu Skin
- Julie Pigott, Director Innovation Support, Southern Company
- Jeff George, VP of Research & Development, Campbell Soup Company
- Geoff Tuff, Principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Patricia Forts, Deputy Chief Innovation and Strategy Officer, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- Chris Morris, Chief Innovation Officer, Herbalife
- Shawn Herrera, Director of Corporate Partnerships, Pepperdine University
- John Klick, Senior Manager, Worldwide Innovation, Pfizer
- Claire Kingston, Director of Platform Innovation and Design, Bioresearch Quality and Compliance
- Christian Weh, Sr. Director Global MAKE, Johnson & Johnson
- Erica Church, Improvement Specialist, Government of Saskatchewan
- Jesse Arundell, Senior Open Innovation Consultant, Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Mike Walker, Innovation Center Lead, Raytheon
With an expanded speaker list as well as a longer program, including pre-conference training sessions, breakouts for deep dives on specific product discussions, exciting product “reveals” and customer panels, we knew we had to design extra energy into the Spigit Ignite event. Here’s how we did it…
Strategically Use Music to Create Boundaries for “Events Within the Event”
To give each speaker their own special segment on the program, we used different music tracks as a prelude to their walk-ons. This helped differentiate each speaker topic, add drama and energy to their introduction and infuse a universal connector (music) within the audience. We also used music strategically at the breaks so that the beginning and end of it, clearly sent a message to attendees, “time to move to the next part of the program”.
Design the Show’s Flow to Increase the Pace Without Overloading the Audience
Another energy infusion for Spigit Ignite was a shift in the order of the program to keep up the pace overall. This created an unexpected flow, which increased audience engagement and kept the audience focused on the program content and speaker messages.
We also designed an interactive photo wall where attendees could snap photos of themselves (or themselves with other colleagues/attendees) and place their images on the place where they were from. This helped start conversations and demonstrate the global nature of the client base.
Add Entertaining Fun Around Product “Reveals”
To facilitate interaction across companies attending the conference and build awareness of new Spigit products, a product hub was developed to showcase the new products throughout the event. This allowed attendees to review merchandised products during breaks at their leisure, creating a fun and entertaining break from education and speaker sessions.
Here’s what our chief liason for Spigit had to say about our collaboration:
“Our second Spigit Ignite conference was even more successful than last year’s event. Much of that credit goes to Anna Marie Events. The detailed planning, on site attention to detail and team coordination and follow through made the entire process pre to post event, incredibly seamless. We’re already working together on our event strategy for 2019 and we’ll be tapping into the team’s creativity for that, too. Job well done!”
Do you have a plan to take your next corporate meeting or conference to even greater heights? Let us help!